NHC Position Type
The member will serve at Willow Foundation's Heartwood Center. Willow Foundation opened and operates the first day shelter/drop-in center serving the Greater Hazleton Area, Heartwood Center, 100 South Wyoming St. Hazleton. The target population served is individuals and families experiencing or at risk of homelessness, housing instability, and/or food insecurity. The Heartwood Center provides basic needs such as a safe space, access to breakfast and lunch served daily, personal hygiene items, and an on-site food pantry.
Supportive services are provided as these basic needs are met, including housing assistance, peer support, employment development, financial literacy, life skills education, and recreational activities. The center also serves as a resource hub with access to phones, computers, and limited transportation to goal-related appointments.
Initially, Willow Foundation anticipated serving 180 individuals per year. However, if current trends continue, Willow Foundation will serve over 500 individuals in 2023.
The purpose of this position is to represent Willow Foundation at meetings and functions with area organizations to build awareness and facilitate community-based on-site services at the center.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The member will:
- Serve as liaison between organizations and individuals serve.
- Foster a collaborative and respectful relationship with each client through in-person interactions focusing on health, wellness, and community engagement.
- Develop partnerships to build an interactive activity schedule that addresses health, wellness, and social skills, reinforces proper conduct, facilitates respectful interactions, teaches and models problem-solving skills, and engages the mind.
- Attend approved and relevant seminars/mandatory staff in-service training.
- Maintain confidentiality of client information, appropriate professional boundaries with clients, and avoid dual relationships.
- Use inclusive, culturally appropriate language and attitudes with all clients and co-workers.
- Providing outreach to agencies to build awareness.
- Developing and providing health education for the community.
- Reaching out to community serving organizations to create education groups.
- Creating basic curriculum and revisiting and revising it.
- Design content for social media posts to raise awareness and reduce stigma.
- Participate in a workgroup to design a monthly activity calendar.
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Self starter
- Team oriented
- Community engagement/outreach
- Creative problem solving
- Able to communicate effectively with individuals of diverse backgrounds and identities
Knowledge Required for the Position
The supervisor assigns service activities, advises on changes in procedures, and is available for assistance when required
The service activities are reviewed for accuracy through spot checks, through complaints from customers, and through observation of the member at service.
Member has to develop, analyze, or evaluate information before the service position can progress
This is a full-time position of 36 to 40 hours per week. The center hours are 8am and 6pm seven days per week. Extremely limited working at home is possible for this position because of the role's social media component that can be completed remotely. Also, working weekends is possible. They are free to work any time the center is open, so we are pleased to be flexible about hours.
Jeans, slacks, skirt ,or business shorts without rips are all fine. No sleeveless tops, or open-toed shoes.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Candidates must complete a PA state of residency, criminal history background check and an FBI fingerprinting check.
A child abuse background clearance, vaccines and other requirements will be discussed by the host site.