NHC Position Type
The NHC member will serve in the Human Services Department creating, facilitating and coordinating classes on health related and non-health related topics such as stress reduction, smoking cessation, opioid misuse prevention, HIV prevention, chronic disease management, and social skills. The member will also be responsible for educating Sulzbacher Center residents on the benefits of good nutrition, reading labels, seasoning alternatives and healthy cooking methods. Member will facilitate exercise and nutrion classes for youth. The NHC member will be responsible for building relationships with community experts, internal professionals, and the culinary team to continue development of programs and curriculum. The member will coordinate Sulzbacher’s relationship with Feeding Northeast Florida’s Mobile Food Pantry. The member will enroll walk-in Sulzbacher Residents in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance (SNAP) benefits program and track the progress of the resident’s application. The member will enroll clients in Medicaid if they would benefit from having health insurance. The member will conduct women’s empowerment classes at the Sulzbacher villages on healthy relationships, parenting, domestic violence prevention, safe sex, and sexually transmitted infection prevention. The member will also enroll residents at the Sulzbacher Center in a new housing/rent assistance program for residents at the center who have opportunities to remove themselves from homelessness. The member will open the computer lab at Sulzbacher Center Villages and Sulzbacher Center Downtown as well as perform one-on-one education on computer/digital literacy to assist residents in applying for jobs. The member will tutor individuals studying for employment or children studying for school who are residents at the Sulzbacher Center.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing individualized, tailored care to a specific patient population
- Following up and assisting patients with social service and health care navigation
- Providing access to and awareness of resources for patients
- Coordinating with other programs to expand partnerships
- Building relationships with community experts and internal professionals
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Comfortable speaking with patient populations, individually or in groups
- Interested in health and wellness promotion
- Experience interacting with patient populations
- Education in Social Work, Public health, and/or Psychology
- Positive attitude
- Patient and calm
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient computer and data entry skills (e.g., Microsoft suite)
- Familiarity with patient populations
- Instills trust easily
- Creative problem solving
- Kind and friendly
Knowledge Required for the Position
Knowledge of AmeriCorps/Health Corps member requirements Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
Member uses initiative in carrying out recurring assignments following set procedures, independently. Member will meet with supervisor at least once per week for supervision.
The Member independently plans and carries out the projects and selects the approaches and methods to be used in solving problems.
Most instructions are easily memorized and require little interpretation.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Service position assignments involve a variety of conventional problems, questions, or situations that conform to established criteria. The service position product or services affect the social, physical, and economic well-being of a substantial number of people on an ongoing basis.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To motivate, influence, or educate people to support change behaviors
- Unusual physical demands involving climbing, lifting, stooping, and reaching, etc.
- Personal vehicle required
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Member must not be convicted of any felonies or misdemeanors that would disqualify them from the Sulzbacher Afterschool program.