NHC Position Type
The AmeriCorps member’s service on Advocate Children’s Hospital’s school health team will directly impact uninsured and underinsured school age children and their families in the city of Chicago and neighboring suburbs. The member will assist the school health team to access patient health status, provide necessary health and social services referrals, measure and report impact of interventions and assist with program development to positively affect outcomes. The member will get exposure to families on our two mobile clinics serving uninsured and underinsured students across Chicago and suburbs and at our school-based health center.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Screening patients for health concerns and eligibility
- Completing and submitting patient applications for social services and medication assistance programs
- Providing education on how to complete paperwork, providing brief health education to patients
- Tracking, enrolling, and surveying patients for improvement
- Informal one-on-one training on client referrals
- Assisting in care coordination and resource referrals
- Tracking referrals and closing the referral loop
- Conducting outreach to patients via phone/letters, creating social service resources guides and lists for clients
- Counseling clients on how to access social services and benefits , developing assessment tools to track patient improvement , registering patients as well as providing follow-up social service navigation , finding additional community resources and programs for patients
Characteristics of an Ideal Candidate
- Comfortable with diversity,
- Multi-tasker; ability to balance
- Good communication skills
- Organized; sound organizational skills
- Good telephone skills
Knowledge Required for the Position
Skill with Microsoft Office or other software for a variety of data processing operations involving a range of problem solving, record keeping, correspondence, and service tracking options
The supervisor assigns service activities in terms of project objectives and basic priorities and is available for consultation in resolving controversial issues.
Completed projects are reviewed very generally to determine that objectives have been met and are in compliance with policies and regulations.
Guidelines are generally applicable, but the Member independently makes adaptations in dealing with problems and unusual situations.
In making decisions, the Member is often required to depart from past approaches and to extend traditional techniques.
Purpose and Impact of Service Position Assignments
Member provides timely services of a personal nature to others. The service position product or service affects the accuracy, reliability, or acceptability of further processes or services.
Nature of Contacts
Purpose of Contacts
To give or exchange information
Personal vehicle required. Criminal history check requirements beyond those required by National Health Corps.
Language Proficiency Requirements
Spanish speaker helpful, but not required
Criminal History Check Requirements Beyond NHC Standard Checks
Advocate Children's Hospital and Chicago Public Schools (CPS) requires a background check for all.