The National Health Corps Florida (NHC Florida), an operating site of the National Health Corps, is an initiative of the Northeast Florida Healthy Start Coalition and its community partners. Through the NHC Florida AmeriCorps program, members are placed in local organizations (host sites) to provide direct service activities that increase access to health care services and information to vulnerable populations. NHC Florida members add value to host sites by helping them increase their capacity to deliver services, integrate health messages into their programs, and fulfill their mission of meeting community health needs.
Host Sites benefit tremendously by hosting an AmeriCorps member because the member can help expand resources while raising awareness of the organization’s presence in the community. NHC members serve full-time for a 46-week period, usually September to July. Members are selected based on their interest in healthcare and their readiness to develop professional skills. They all share a commitment to serving their community’s healthcare needs.
Examples of NHC Florida Member Activities:
- Enroll uninsured patients into Medicaid or the market exchanges
- Enroll patients into prescription medication assistance programs
- Enroll pregnant women into programs like Healthy Start
- Facilitate nutrition and fitness education with school children and adults
- Coordinate and/or facilitate various health education workshops on topics such as chronic disease prevention
- Facilitate STD/HIV and pregnancy prevention education to teens
- Help people navigate the health care system by making appointments and connecting them to health care services
- Provide care coordination services to overcome barriers associated with accessing health care services such a primary/specialty care or preventative screenings like mammograms
- Provide free health screenings, such as BMI, blood pressure, glucose, and vision screenings, etc
To see more examples of member activities, please review our current position descriptions.
- Florida Department of Health in Nassau County
- The PLAYERS Center for Child Health at Wolfson Children's Hospital
- Baptist Health Medical Center
- Clay Behavioral
- Hubbard House
- IM Sulzbacher Center
- Northeast Florida Healthy Start Coalition
- River Region Human Services
- UF Health at Jacksonville - Healthy Start
- YMCA Clay County
- YMCA Duval County
- Tobacco Free Jacksonville
Interested in applying to be an NHC Florida host site? Apply Here!
Not quite ready to apply? Consider being an outside service partner.